WMU-AAUP Title IX Faculty Brown Bag
Considering WMU’s New Sexual Misconduct Policy
Tuesday, February 9, 2016, 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Faculty Dining Room, Bernhard Center
The new national emphasis on Title IX is on the minds of many faculty members as we seek to maintain a learning environment for our students and ourselves that is both safe and intellectually challenging. Join your colleagues as we share our questions, hopes, and concerns about WMU’s new policy and the impact of Title IX on WMU. Some likely questions:
- How familiar are faculty members with WMU’s new sexual misconduct policy?
- Can our campus draw any lessons from recent national cases connected to such policies and to Title IX more generally?
- How are other campuses responding to the new, more stringent, Title IX requirements?
- How will WMU balance the critical need to protect students with an appropriate emphasis on respecting due process for all?
- How involved do WMU faculty feel with respect to the creation and elaboration of these new policies?
- How can faculty, students, staff, and administrators be partners in working toward the elimination of discrimination in all forms while respecting academic freedom and due process?