The following resolutions were approved by the faculty at last week’s Chapter meeting:
1. Motion from the WMU-AAUP Association Council: To approve the Association Council’s recommendation to return to a paper-based course evaluation process. PASSED.
2. Motion from the floor: To approve a Chapter grievance against the administration for failure to comply with Article 4: University Committees by failing to honor the right of the WMU-AAUP to appoint faculty members to all university committees, including “project management team” committees. PASSED UNANIMOUSLY.
3. Motion from the floor: To reject the current plan for the academic program review developed and presented by the WMU administration and to call on the administration to (1.) cease the implementation of the current academic program review immediately and (2.) collaborate with the faculty in a transparent and meaningful process to develop a review procedure, should all parties agree that a review is necessary. This process must be based on a clear rationale and on mutually agreeable objectives, mechanisms for implementation and assessment, and potential outcomes in which the administration is held accountable as well as faculty. PASSED. ONE NAY.
4. Motion from the floor: To direct the WMU-AAUP leadership to send information to all bargaining-unit faculty about how to file a gender-equity complaint with the Michigan Department of Civil Rights and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. PASSED. ONE NAY. (Please note that a letter containing this information is now on its way to the faculty.)
5. Motion from the floor: To censure the Provost on the basis of his handling of the gender equity issue, specifically with regard to the process initiated last spring and the continuing lack of response or resolution of the issue. PASSED. ONE NAY.
6. Motion from the floor: To schedule a special chapter meeting for Friday, October 25 at 1:30 p.m. to discuss the remaining items on the October 18 agenda. PASSED.
Please to join us on Friday, October 25, for the special Chapter meeting requested by the faculty last week. We will meet on Friday at 1:30 p.m. in rooms 157-159 of the Bernhard Center (and will reconvene at 4 p.m. at Bell’s Eccentric Café, 355 E. Kalamazoo Avenue, for our October Fourth Friday happy hour).