Special Faculty Reading of “Strike Parade”
a new play by Steve Feffer
Monday, March 31, at 7 p.m. (location TBA)
Coming up on Monday, March 31, the WMU-AAUP will proudly present a special faculty reading of “Strike Parade,” a new play by our own Dr. Steve Feffer, accomplished playwright and WMU Associate Professor of English.
With support from the Michigan Humanities Council and the Keweenaw National Historical Park Advisory Commission, the Calumet Theater in Calumet, Michigan, has commissioned Steve to write “Strike Parade,” which commemorates the 1913-14 Michigan Copper Miners’ Strike and is part of a series of events planned around the 100th anniversary of the strike. The new play will premiere in late April at the Calumet Theatre.
As part of our 2014 contract campaign, Steve has graciously offered us the opportunity to do a special faculty reading of “Strike Parade” here on our own campus.
But you can’t have a “special faculty reading” without some special faculty readers! In that spirit, we invite you, dear WMU faculty members, to join the cast as a Special Faculty Reader.
Here’s the skinny:
- We need 8-12 colleagues of any age or gender to participate in the reading.
- The script may include some opportunities for readers to sing as part of a group (in the form of awesome labor songs), although please note that if singing is not your thing, that is not a dealbreaker.
- The time commitment will include one or (at most) two meetings with the rest of the cast prior to the actual public reading, which is scheduled for Monday, March 31, at 7 p.m. (The meeting(s) will probably also be on Monday evening(s), in order to keep things simple.)
- If you’d like to volunteer to be a reader, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know you’re in!
- If you’d rather not read but would still like to be involved, we’d love to have your help hosting the event or behind the scenes (e.g., helping with logistics, refreshments, publicity, etc.). Email us to let us know if that sounds more like your style.
And if you know of some colleagues you think might enjoy this opportunity, by all means encourage them (or feel free to nominate them and leave the persuasion to us!).
Even if you’d prefer not to read, if you are available on Monday, March 31, please attend what will surely be an unforgettable performance.
Many thanks to those who have already agreed to participate. And big, big thanks to WMU’s favorite rising young playwright (and WMU-AAUP Association Council representative for the Department of English) Dr. Steve Feffer for giving us the opportunity to learn about a fascinating episode in Michigan’s labor history and to have what is sure to be a great time in the process.
* * * * * * * * * *
Steve Feffer’s “Strike Parade,” directed by Patricia Helsel, Associate Professor of Theatre at Michigan Tech, will premiere officially at the Calumet Theatre at the end of April. There’s more about “Strike Parade” and other events commemorating the centennial of the Copper Miners’ Strike here.